Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, October 25, 2011

99%


99%
“We can’t afford to hire a person of your caliber.”
“You are to experienced to work at our retail store,
Cleaning company,
Restaurant,
Medical front office
Why would you waste your skills on other job types?”

Why? Because I need to work.

My husband works 2 jobs,
Has gone to school FT for 4 years
And still we cannot make ends meet…

We are lucky to have insurance,
That doesn’t cover all of our medicines.

I have worked hard for 13 years in my industry, even when I wanted out because no one else will hire me…because I’m too qualified for other jobs.
I have been going to school to finish my degree.
At first just show my kids how important and education is, now in hopes of finding a new job with my new degree.
I now run my own business, clean houses when my “boss” calls on me, work weddings at my church, take on odd jobs, child sit overnight for friends…
Just to bring ANY extra income in.
I would watch the kids for free, just to be a friend…
I’m lucky to get unemployment; it’s what’s keeping us afloat.
Yet I know there still isn’t enough to pay all of our bills.
My in-laws and parents help us, even though they really can’t afford too.
I love them so much.
I wonder if I’ll keep food on the table.
Cook from scratch, shop using coupons, hit food pantries and go in with friends to buy in bulk.
My husband makes a lousy $500 a month to much for us to get food assistance.
My friends who do qualify receive food assistance 2 to 3 times my monthly food budget.
I’ve considered getting rid of my pets because of their food cost.
But I can’t…

My husband and I will have over 25,000 dollars in school loans…and will be educators.

I have applied to all the jobs I remotely qualify for, jobs I know they will tell me I’m to qualified for, jobs I know our “beneath” me (their words not mine). I spend 3-4 hours a day looking for work…
And STILL there are those telling me I’m not looking hard enough.

I’m afraid we won’t be able to afford to medicate ourselves, and sometimes skimp on my meds to make sure we can afford my husbands.
I’m lucky to have doctors who care enough to keep samples on hand of the meds that work for my daughter’s asthma that the insurance company won’t pay for.

I’m lucky her asthma hasn’t been life threatening.

I’m worried my son will go unmedicated because he’ll be 18, unemployed and our insurance doesn’t’ cover his meds either, and now he’s lost Medicaid because of his father’s lifestyle choices and only has my husband’s insurance to depend on.

I am a white, middle aged, married, and mother of two.  I care more about my friends and families needs than my own. I would give everything for them and much for a stranger in need.
Yet I am told I am part of this nation’s privileged elite.

No comments:

Post a Comment