Powered By Blogger

Monday, February 14, 2011

Valentines Day for me

This year for Valentine's day my husband bought me four books by two of my favorite authors. I am looking forward to not just reading them, but soaking them in and having the opportunityto wander through their words of wisdom.
I want to list what I will be looking at, and hope you will follow me on my journey of rediscovery and self discovery through these text.
First book that showed up was by C.S. Lewis, arguably one of the best writer of early allegorical fantasy. He was also a bibical and philosophical scholar who wrote several allegories and for lack of a better word dissertations on faith.
This book is a simple small book, meant to be a sort of guide book to new Christians, "What Christians Believe, I read this book several years ago and look forward to reading it again and sharing it with my children.

The Second book in this collection is possible the second greatest allegory not written for children. The Great Divorce in my rememberance is a allegory and look at how sin seperates us from God, and how he still has mercy and love for us even when we walk away. I'm interested to see what this new reading will bring.

Thirdly he bough me .A Year with C.S. Lewismore of a journey through his writings to act in my life as a devotional. I look forward to seeing this text and seeing how they can affect my personal walk.

Finally, he bought me a book my one of my favorite contemporary theologians, Brennan Manning. This man always seems to have such a hand on God's mercy and grace and on our own human faults and the way in which we drag ourselves down when God is reaching out his hand to lift of us. This book is titled Posers, fakers, &Wannabes (unmasking the real you),  it is cowritten my a author I am not familiar with, Jim Hancock. I see it being a easy interesting read.

That is actually one of my favorite parts about reading these authors, they speak deep truths in simple clean ways. I have two other books I am working on as well. Plus my college load. It's all about the balance and making time for God in my hectic life.

I hope you will follow me in my journey, even if you do not ascribe to my personal beliefs you may find the insights interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment